Wall of Honor
To celebrate the 200th Anniversary of Franklin County Missouri, we would like to recognize the businesses that have stood the test of time. They have survived two world wars, The Great Depression, several recessions, and changes in technologies their founders never could have imagined. Small and family businesses are the backbone of any community and we are blessed to have so many last at least half the length of time the County has been in existence. That is something so special and rare. Their dedication and hard work helped them succeed across generations, and hopefully for many more to come.
I want to make special mention of Droege's Supermarket. While the grocery store is now gone, they served Washington for over 150 years in the same family. The family is still doing business in the building, just as John G's Tap Room, along with Augusta Brewery.
The following active businesses have been in Franklin County for at least 100 years. Thank you to all the businesses who build and support our communities.
Honold Hardware, Beaufort (closed 2019)
Boeuf & Berger Insurance, New Haven
Oltmann Funeral Home, Union and Washington
Altemueller Jewelery, Washington
Bank of Sullivan, Sullivan
Bank of Washington, Washington
Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipes, Washington
Hansen Title and Abstract, Union
Bleckman Machine, Washington
Modern Auto, Washington
Some other long time businesses are
Union Furniture, Union, 1974
Cowan's (as Cowan's), Washington, 1973
East Central College, Union, 1968
Schulte's Bakery, Washington, 1959
Brown Shoe, Washington, 1950
Halls Brothers Lumber, Union, 1938
Lewis Cafe, St. Clair, 1938
Bay's Tire, Pacific, 1935
Wimpy's, Washington, 1935
White Rose Cafe, Union, 1932
R&R Hardware, St. Clair, 1932
Washington Missourian, Washington, 1926
If we have missed a business, please email Lynn at
Medal of Honor Recipient Lorenzo Immell
Information compiled by BJ Chadduck
Lorenzo Dow Immell Date of birth: June 18, 1837 Date of death: October 31, 1912 Burial location: St. Louis, Missouri Place of Birth: Ohio, Ross Home of record: Fort Leavenworth Kansas Awarded for actions during the Civil War The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Corporal Lorenzo Dow Immell, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism on 10 August 1861, while serving with Company F, 2d U.S. Artillery, at Wilson's Creek, Missouri, for bravery in action. General Orders: Date of Issue: July 19, 1890 Action Date: August 10, 1861 Service: Army Rank: Corporal Company: Company F Division: 2d U.S. Artillery Wilson's Creek Medals of Honor from Civil War Trust Lorenzo Dow Immell, a corporal in the 2nd U.S. Artillery, was a native of Ross, Ohio, who joined the Federal army in August 1860 at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas Territory. Immell was awarded the Medal of Honor on July 19, 1890, for “bravery in action.” Over the course of the war, he rose to the rank of lieutenant and served with the 1st Missouri Light Artillery, the 12th Wisconsin Battery and the 6th Ohio Battery. Immell is buried in the Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri. About Lorenzo D. Immell from GoodSpeeds History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford, and Gasconade Counties page 254 Company G, of the First Artillery, was in part raised in Franklin County. Lorenzo D. Immell, from this county, was first lieutenant; commissioned August 31, 1863, and mustered out July 28, 1865. Part of Company E, Second Artillery, was also from Franklin County, and about one-half of Company M, of the same regiment. Biographical Sketch of Capt. L. D. Immell from 1878 Franklin County Land Plat Atlas pages 53-56 Captain Immell, the important agricultural man of central Missouri, is a native of Ohio. His parents, Jacob Immell and Mary A., formerly a Miss Seberell, were from the town of Hesse, Hamburg, Germany. The subject of this sketch entered the army of the United States as a private, when quite young, at the commencement of our late war, and during a service of five years was honored with four promotions for bravery on the field of action. He was engaged in sixty different battles, received seven wounds at different times, and was honorably mustered out of the army as captain of artillery, and with a reputation for impetuous daring second to none. At the close of the war he engaged in farming, which, as is usual with him in all kinds of business, he made a success. He has likely done more for Franklin and adjoining counties in the way of distribution of valuable seeds and improved farm implements, than any other citizen of this section of the state. His eminent qualifica- tions as an agriculturist, and his good judgement as a citizen, recommended his services to the governor, and he was accordingly one of the first gentlemen of the state chosen to select from the rich fields of Missouri a fair representation of her varied resources at the late centennial exposition, a duty which he discharged with credit and taste. Mr. Immell is of a lively disposition, a strong friend, but quick to resent an insult; and can punish insolence with an emphasis that never needs repetition. He is fond of the society of the ladies, and takes a delight in pets in general. He is now largely engaged in the sale of all kinds of agricultural implements, in Washington, and is one of our most energetic business men. He is now one of the directors of the Franklin County Fair Association. ABOUT Wilson's Creek from the National Park Service Total Northern forces engaged at the Battle of Wilson’s Creek were 5,400 men. Southern forces numbered 10,125. In comparison the population of Springfield in 1860 was 2,000. The Northern Army was made up of volunteer units from Missouri, Iowa and Kansas, as well as the Regular Army. The Southern Army was composed of Confederate forces from Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas, as well as Arkansas and Missouri state troops. The Missouri State Guard, a pro-Southern militia force, were not technically Confederate soldiers, as they had not sworn allegiance to the Confederate government, nor had Missouri seceded from the Union. Many State Guardsmen were poorly equipped with hunting rifles, shotguns, out-of-date military weapons and farm implements, with little to no uniforms. The Union army departed Springfield at 5:00 p.m. on August 9. In 24 hours, it marched more than 20 miles and fought a pitched battle lasting more than six hours (from around 5:00 a.m. until around noon) before returning to Springfield on the evening of August 10th. The combined southern forces damped on Wilson’s Creek prior to attacking Lyon in Springfield. This area afforded water, forage and food for the army and was within striking distance along the Wire Road. Ironically, McCulloch ordered an attack on Springfield on the morning of August 10th, but a light rain the night before delayed their movement. The First Kansas Infantry Regiment (US) is seventh on the list of Northern units suffering the largest number of killed, wounded or mortally wounded in any one engagement during the Civil War with 106 casualties taken at Wilson’s Creek. The First Missouri Infantry Regiment (US) is number eight with 103 casualties. A total of 537 men were killed at Wilson’s Creek on both sides. The federals suffered 1,317 casualties (killed, wounded and missing) and the Confederates 1,222. In terms of percentage of losses, the Union Army suffered at 24.5% casualty rate and the Confederates 12%. The lack of standardization in uniforms on both sides caused much confusion, including when Colonel Franz Sigel mistook the gray uniforms of the Third Louisiana Regiment (CS) for the 1st Iowa Infantry Regiment (US). Sigel’s command was routed, and the tide of battle turned in favor of the Confederates. There were a total of 31 cannons used in the battle. The Union had 16 cannons organized in three batteries. The south had 15 guns organized in four batteries. Many ethnic groups were involved in the battle. Germans and Irishmen made up large percentages on both sides. Records indicate that several African-Americans were present as servants on both sides. Mary Lincoln’s dressmaker’s son, George Washington Kirkland (a mulatto), was killed at Wilson’s Creek as a member of the 1st Missouri Infantry Regiment (US). A small number of Cherokees joined the southern forces just prior to the battle and participated in it. OTHER INFORMATION: Confederates referred to the battle of Wilson’s Creek as the Battle of “Oak Hill(s)”, after the original name of Bloody Hill. The Wire Road is named for the telegraph wire strung alongside the road that ran From Springfield to Fort Smith, Arkansas. Five men – Nicholas Bouquet, Lorenzo Immell, John M. Schofield, William Wherry and Henry Clay Wood – earned the Congressional Medal of Honor for actions performed at Wilson’s Creek. The Ray House, the only surviving structure from the time of the battle, was used as a field hospital during and after the battle by the Confederates. There were many other homes used as hospitals in the vicinity of Wilson’s Creek following the battle. As the Union army retreated from the battlefield of Wilson’s Creek on August 10, 1861, the exhausted survivors on both sides undoubtedly agreed with William Tunnard of the Third Louisiana Infantry, who wrote that the battle “enlightened many ignorant minds as to the seriousness and fearful certainty of the contest.” The six-hour fight near Springfield, Missouri began the process of transforming inexperienced, eager recruits into veteran soldiers. For the surviving army commanders at Wilson’s Creek, as well as for the men in the ranks, the battle was merely the first major event in a long and bloody national tragedy.